The temporomandibular joint is located between the lower jaw and the temporal cavity (in front of the ear). Without expert attention, nearly half of the population will suffer from a malfunction of this joint.
A few of the factors that predispose individuals to temporomandibular joint disorders include:
- Malocclusion (misaligned teeth)
- Poor chewing technique
- Missing teeth (one or more)
- Accident affecting the jaw
- Stress or emotional tension (tightness or frequent clenching of the jaw muscles)
- Habits (chewing gum, biting fingernails)
- Playing certain musical instruments (e.g., tuba)
Let us know if you experience jaw cracking, discomfort or pain. We’ll determine whether there is a problem with your temporomandibular joint.